Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pot

Oh you guys are terrible if you believed I meant marijuana. No, no, no, but yes, I did inhale about 23 years ago in the backseat of a car crowded with other friends and second hand smoke. Nothing happened to me. I was too drunk on alcohol. Oh yes, I was that bad. I smoked, I did drink, and I did do marijuana once and since it didn't do anything to me, I thought it was boring and never touched it again. Alcohol was the faster buzz of choice then. Goodness, it sounds like I was born in the age of sex, drugs, and rock n' roll! But no, it was the 80's.

The Pot I refer to is the name of a recipe I came up with out of my nearly empty cabinets of food, or, well, pantry fixings. It is amazing what you can come up with sometimes with just two or three items. Pot is the ingredients of a pot pie, but without the meat or the pie crust. It is basically the basic innards of a pot pie. So I called it..Pot. Yes, I know I'm laughing at the silliness myself but hey, I have to find amusement somewhere every now or then or I may as well be insane!

To make Pot: (oh my gosh it's getting worse..! Ha!)

Drippings from roasted chicken. I had two cups. Including the fat. (Oh yes I am a baaaaad girl, I did inhale and I keep fat drippings!) Plus one cup of water. I placed these in a roasting pan, stirring it up to mix it well.

I added a full box of noodles. I think it was a 16oz box of mixed noodles we had put together to save space. Spirals, also called Gemili, mixed with some Penne but I do not know which Penne! So just, grab some noodles of your choice! I get the odd shaped noodles for fun with the kids.

I let the noodles cook in the roasting pan in the over until they are soft. I do not drain them. I added a little bit of flour to the simmering liquid to make it like a gravy! Mmmm, yummy. Then I added:

2 Cups of Iron Chef brand Panko. Plug ahead: Panko are the unique Japanese bread crumbs that are the #1 choice for chefs. Panko bread crumbs give a crunchier, lighter crusting to fried and baked foods. All Iron Chef Panko is all natural, and certified kosher!! They're also yummy, but you don't have to get the Iron Chef brand. I picked that up to try and splurge. They were delicious but expensive compared to a normal bag or box of Panko from another brand. So any Panko will do, but any bread crumbs will do too! Heck, you can make your own! (Later recipe..)

2 cups of green beans (I accidentally put in peas, which is allowed too, but my husband does not like peas so green beans from now on for us.)


2 cups of carrots (Remember you can add corn too or any other veggie you like!)


That's all! I just put it on a plate and served it up! It is delicious, and the Panko/Bread Crumbs serve as a good pie crust substitute and are actually less fattening! I even think this would be very good cold and for picnics because it is not very messy as you may think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment