Friday, September 10, 2010

Chicago Night Drive

We got to see Chicago tonight. It was just turning dark enough to enjoy details of the architecture and capture the view of the cities lights at the same time. The Navy Pier was lit up nicely too, and even the Ferris Wheel was bright as always. I wonder if anyone was on it? B said it was not too cool tonight, but we could feel a chill in the wind that came through the car with the windows down. So I know, up on that Ferris Wheel, I bet it was cooler too!

Half-way up the city, we drove up on Halsted, and B asked how far north we had been on the road before. I couldn't remember so we stayed on it for quite some time. (we turned around at Sheridan) B's Dad, William, has always said, "I would rather take a beating than drive on Halsted." (something similar I probably failed with that..) and we know why he says it, but we also know why we are drawn to that street. It is like a odd carnival scene you can not look away from! If you want to see anything and everything about Chicago drive on Halsted Street!

The smells of the places you can eat, both expensive, gorgeous locations to the run down roach coaches and the "could be featured in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives " locations stand out on Halsted. They are all very Chicago and all extremely mouth watering! The yummy scents are enough to drive on the Street! And some of the shops and buildings they reside in are even fun to look at, not just smell. Hey, and some have valet parking. Imagine that? Maybe someday B and I can experience that.

Then you have the people to watch. They are so diverse and amazing that there is entertainment there for anyone who likes watching people. I must admit, I rarely watched people. B has slowly got me into watching them. I'm sure we're watched too, but me watching is just odd, and I sometimes feel that it is so extremely wrong to do so, but you just can't help it once you realize how amazing or how fun it can be. Or how frightening. There are some really wacky people out there!

Tonight was fun, and free, which is always something special. Finding free entertainment for families can be hard anywhere. I finally found a web site that shows me free things to do in the Chicago area, and Chicago itself, so that we can save some money and sometimes have places to go! Tomorrow and Sunday there are a few things going on for us to consider. If the children behave we may do that. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment