Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Hospital: The Crap I Do To Myself (Part 3)

When I was finally put in a room at the Hospital it was 6AM and all I can remember is a Nurse coming in to ask me about 300 questions about everything in the world about me. I'm all for past medical problems, family history, and even geneology but seriously, that much question and answer session without sleep? No! They should be more polite! Let us sleep, precious! Let us sleep!

The Nurse finally finished and told me as soon as a Doctor approved of a diet for me and then arranged for tests and other tidbits I would be able to rest and eat. I had been up since the morning of the 10th. It was the morning of the 11th, and I still had not had a chance to call my husband to tell him I was doing better, though I had not learned what what I had yet, at least I was stable enough and the pain was something I was prepared for now, and whatever medicine they had started me on, was helping ease the pain somewhat.

A Doctor and his troops finally came in at 8 AM. Breakfast came in to my room mate. The lady or man across the hall screamed hate for the food, startling me. The Doctor told me that the patient who was yelling would be moved eventually due to causing emotional distress for his or her room mate as well as others on the floor. Well, that is nice, I was thinking, because that would drive me nuts! The person was extremely loud and sounded very out of sorts. The Doctor finally told me that after a few more blood tests they would make sure I could eat something and get on a food plan for the next few days. Next few days? Why do I have to stay for days?

"So far we are positive of some things. You do have extremely high blood pressure. You do have Atypical pneumonia. You do have Pulmonary edema. You do have a mid-sized Pulmonary Embolism. We think you also have a Pericardial effusion, but we need to do more tests to be sure. We are starting you immediately on (mentioned about a million drugs here) so that we can get you on a non-lethal path and back to being healthy."

I had no idea what any of that meant. He knew it too. So he nodded and left the room, leaving me with a handful of student Doctors to explain that the Atypical pneumonia, or walking pneumonia, started to mingle and play with other cells in my body to start up the Pericardial effusion. This made the Atypical pneumonia worsen with each week, leading up to the Pulmonary edema. And of course, all this lead to the Pulmonary Embolism because the fluids mingled with high blood pressure problems. So, a cold turned into walking pneumonia, which grew into fluid around my heart, which went to fluid in my lungs, which then ended up a blood clot that was mingling about. The aspirin made it move and slide enough to cause pain, cut off sections of my lung from having blood flow, and that was how simple it was. Simple? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment