Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

I have been so extremely out of it and busy with things that I just haven't had time to post anything like I want to post! Stress is part of it, but not all of it. I meant to update on the Halloween costumes and everything through all this but the truth is I didn't have a camera yet, and I need to get one to make all that happen the right way! So, soon that will be done. If they don't grow out of the costumes too soon! They are growing so fast around here! Up but not out, and I think D needs to grow out some. He's still behind in sizes and that is making me wonder if he's going to suddenly spurt out in height just before winter hits!

Today's Trick or Treat was going to be another pumpkin farm trip, but the one I chose that was the cheapest out of all the pumpkin farm trips, was not open on Halloween. They actually cut time short to avoid Halloween. The other pumpkin farms were way, way too expensive for our taste. A family of five, even with a Military Discount of B getting in free, was still just under $50. That was with coupons! I can not believe the prices of these places! We will not be going back to any pumpkin farm any time soon.

The only one place I would go to do something like that again is called Settlers Pond. They are a small place dedicated to being a shelter for many animals not normally taken at other shelters. Horses included of course, but they also have a kangaroo or two, some exotic cuties, and a rotten donkey who bit my youngest son's fingers, but it was all better in the end with a sucker from one of the ladies there at the farm. Perfect band aid!

They care for the animals and really make sure they have a place to live, not just exist. I enjoy the atmosphere and the purpose behind the program so I think spending half of what we pay at a pumpkin farm for that location is at least going to a good cause and not a commercialized farm dumped on a field. Ahem.



I was looking at times the cities were having their trick or treating. Our city never posts times they do trick or treating. I would not even want our kids walking around this area at night or even day as it is. Harvey, Illinois is not a safe place. People can say that it is changing all they want, but I have lived here for 9 years now, going on 10, and no, it does not change, and I do not see it getting any better. So why stay here? We have to for now.

I thought of piggy back on a city that is safe and we can trick or treat there. Steger, Illinois is one of the towns I considered. Crete, Illinois was another. While on a page to look at times for these two cities I saw a Downtown link for Naperville, Illinois. It is a town we have visited before for a Rib Fest they do every year in the summer. I know the town is lovely and clean and, most importantly, safer than Harvey! So I clicked to see if they were doing any activities and they were! A trick or treat downtown theme! You walk around the downtown section of Naperville and trick or treat with participating stores!

It was perfect! The weather was wonderful. The store clerks and stores were friendly and very awesome, even when over run with all the dressed up children and adults, and there were a lot of yummy places to choose from for lunch!

 We are on a budget so eating out is something we try to stay conscious of (try......I did say try... hehehe..) and we were able to have some delicious, yummy food at a place in Naperville called Ted's Montana Grill.

They have delicious, mouth-watering food and we are going to go back to try other things when we are able. Naperville is an hour off so it's hard to just go out and get there, plus, we know it'll be crowded due to it's popularity.

They were not crowded for lunch on a Sunday, and their lunch menu was very affordable for us. They had an $8 menu that we used, and they had a cheap $5 kids meal. I bought one (saving money here) to split between the two kids.

They are eco-friendly (please read that on their site, it was nice to see a place like that caring about our environment like that) from what they use to serve or make food to their bathrooms! Yes, the bathrooms. Read the site!

B ordered Bison Nachos which was (quoted from the site link up there..) "Freshly fried, yellow corn tortillas topped with our Signature Karen's "Flying D" Bison Chili, grated Pepper Jack Cheese, vine-ripened tomatoes, shaved green onions, freshly sliced jalapenos and a dollop of our sour cream." He also got the guacamole on the side and it was delicious! Yes, I got a bite of the guac! I love guac! Ted's was light, freshly made, had chunks of onion and tomatoes in it and just a touch of lime (I believe). It was cool and creamy fresh, perfect side to the hot of the peppers!

E had the same thing I did, a Meatloaf Sandwich. And I can hear it now "oh a meatloaf sandwich, whoopty do..." welllll no. It was so damn good !!! It's a 100% bison meat. The meatloaf had small chunks of peppers and onions in it and was juicy but firm so it wouldn't fall into chunks. They caramelize the onions to put on top, too,  with a very enjoyable sweet (lightly so) sauce and then put Monterey Jack cheese on it. The meat is put on a ciabatta bread and it's also flavored with a little garlic and onion. Just YUM! There was no grease flavor in the meat like you get with beef. It felt clean and light when I bit into it, and all I could taste was this energizing flavor that made me say "oh my god" after the first bite. I love that meatloaf!

The side is fresh-cut french fries. They were good, but I think they were soggy. (well...a little droopy....I like mine crisp.) Maybe next time they'll be crisper? I did like that they did not use a lot of salt. I have to watch salt and I noticed it was light on that with the fries and my meal. Another plus for me.

The kids had Mac n' Cheese, and again, it wasn't just some Kraft brand thrown into a bowl. It was a yummy light cheese mix of cheddar and probably provolone or mozz and very creamy. I did not taste it, they were starving and I wanted to keep my fingers!! But it looked very appetizing. The side for them was french fries and the staff was kind enough to give my son some of his own so I didn't have to divide up a small pile into smaller piles.

I drank water (this does save money), but I saw today when I got home they have a lemonade that is supposed to be awesome. I'm going to try that sometime!

I love finding new places to eat! We'll be going back to Ted's and Naperville for more holiday fun. I think we'll probably be up there around our Anniversary this month, and maybe even some Christmas light fun when they do an electric parade. We'll see how it goes as the days move along.

I still have the urges to do the one day at a time thing. No thinking too far ahead. I wish I could understand why, but for now I'll go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment